The excursion takes us around Lake Llanquihue. This is the third largest natural lake in South America and second largest in Chile. The Lake is surrounded by several small towns and magnificent scenery, including Osorno and other volcanoes. We will stop to visit some towns.
REGION: North Patagonia, Lake District.
ACTIVITY LEVEL: 1- 2 (Easy)
SUMMARY: Drive around Lake Llanquihue, visiting several picturesque villages and scenic sites, including Laguna Verde, Osorno Volcano, Las Casacadas village, Puerto Octay, Frutillar, Llanquihue, and others.
DURATION: Full day for Independent Travelers (10 – 12 hours). Cruise Passenger 9 – 10 hours.
MIN. / MAX. PEOPLE: 2 – 15 people or more with previous arrangement.
SEASON: Year round, weather permitting.
ITINERARY: Depart from your Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt hotel or pier. Our excursion takes us around Lake Llanquihue. This is the third largest natural lake in South America and second largest in Chile at 886,000 km. sq. and 350 meters deep. It is surrounded by several small towns and magnificent scenery, including Osorno and other volcanoes. We will stop to visit a number of them, depending on time, weather, and your interests. The choices include:
1. Puerto Varas (our starting point): founded in 1853 by German settlers.
2. Laguna Verde (a small green lagoon off Lake Llanquihue): a beautiful place for a short walk and taking photos. This vantage point also gives a good perspective of the size of the lake. Depending on the day and the season, you may spot local wildlife along the wooded shoreline.
3. Drive a short distance up the skirts of Osorno Volcano to the Burbuja ski area where you can see the glacial run-off from the volcano slopes and glaciers. Also see a wide variety of lava formations created by the lava flows from Osorno. Marvel at the great views around us (weather permitting). Take in the scale of the lake and its surroundings.
4. Las Cascadas Village: located 13.6 miles further, following the road through the foothills of the towering volcano. Here we have an opportunity to visit the lake shore of Llanquihue.
5. As we continue our route, always surrounded by beautiful native trees and sandy beaches, we head to Puerto Octay, located on the north shore of the lake. The German influence is evident in the Casonas Germanas (large German houses) and their agricultural fields. Much of the area around the lake was settled by German immigrants, before WWI.
Take time to walk around its ancient streets and plaza, and later take beautiful photos from different viewpoints. There is also a local museum that you can visit on your own.
6. We continue our route along the lake shore, until we arrive at Frutillar. Take time to walk and explore its beautiful gardens or taste a delicious German pastry. (Each year between January 27 and February 5, a festival of classical music, known internationally as The Musical Week of Frutillar takes place. On this occasion the town welcomes tourists from around the world who come to enjoy the show.)
7. Always bordering Lake Llanquihue, we head to the town of Llanquihue, famous for its sausages and as the place of origin of the River Maullín, the old route of the settlers. In the town we visit the Memorial to the German Colonists.
Having completed our loop around the lake, we now take the Pan-American Highway (the same highway that begins in Alaska in USA and ends on the Island of Chiloé, some miles down the road), and return to your hotel or pier.
Optional lunch in the Cascadas village (sandwich or empanadas) or regular lunch at Puerto Octay or Frutillar. (Food at your own expense.)
Note for Cruise ship passengers: We return one hour before the last tender. If necessary, the excursion will be shortened to ensure timely return.
Note: It is essential that you wear appropriate layered clothing in order to fully enjoy and participate in this excursion, windbreaker, sunglasses, hat, and sun protection.
INCLUDED: Professional local tour guide (with First Aid Accreditation and mobile phone), and private transportation with seat insurance.
NOT INCLUDED: Travel insurance, personal equipment, lunch, tips or anything not listed in the program.
GUEST PROVIDES: Comfortable clothes appropriate to the activity.
TOUR OPERATED BY: Patagonia SouthernLand Expeditions staff
TOUR COST: Request a quote!